POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Media based cloud testing : Re: Media based cloud testing Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:21:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media based cloud testing
From: Reactor
Date: 28 Jul 2004 19:49:45
Message: <41083b99$1@news.povray.org>
"Ron M" <rm_### [at] cheapcomplexdevicescom> seems to have written in message
news:410### [at] cheapcomplexdevicescom...

> Curious what scale you used.  I think that's one of the trickier parts
> of choosing media settings.
>
> Was 1 POV unit 1 meter?   1 mile?   1 cloud?   arbitrary?
>
> Was the sun <rgb 1> <rgb 100> etc.
>
> Do the media settings have any correlation to any turbidity/opacity
> units (miles of visibility?)

First of all, thanks all for the kind responses.  I am posting a source
snipet that should answer a few questions.  A macro is in the works, but it
might take a while...
I used 1 pov unit = approximately 1 foot.

I have placed comments in the attached source snipet.  It isn't a full
scene, just the media block and explanation.  Please feel free to play with
it, and, if someone figures out how to make good thunderheads, please post
your method... I am experimenting with a few things, and I have a
quarter-baked idea for the "Desert" topic (isn't fully formed enough to be
half baked).

Be aware that media clouds have very long render times.

        Reactor

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'clouds_description.pov.txt' (3 KB)