POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Alien architecture (99k jpeg) : Re: Alien architecture (99k jpeg) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 23:27:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alien architecture (99k jpeg)
From: scott
Date: 28 Jul 2004 14:51:20
Message: <4107f5a8$1@news.povray.org>
"Samuel Benge" <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
news:410### [at] hotmailcom
> Hugo Asm wrote:
>
>> When do we get a real 3d screen ?? :-)
>

> They have three-dee screens now... I'm sure you've seen them. I
> think it's just that old Cracker-Jack trick though: a grooved,
> plastic sheet over a spliced image corresponding to the grooves.

No.  They actually have another LC behind the main one which can selectively
let the backlight shine through to reach either your left or right eye.
This way you can switch between 2D and 3D in software.

http://sharp-world.com/corporate/news/040610.html

http://www.sle.sharp.co.uk/research/3d/3dbackground.htm
^^^^ where I work :-)

> person might be able to make one themselves at home, provided one
> has the grooved, plastic sheet :) I've got some liquid acrylic....
> maybe I should try a small experiment...

Hmmm it would be pretty tricky, and it looks rubbish compared to the above
method.  This method is used for producing hardcopy 3D photos though.