POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Media based cloud testing : Media based cloud testing Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:17:46 EDT (-0400)
  Media based cloud testing
From: Reactor
Date: 27 Jul 2004 22:59:59
Message: <410716af@news.povray.org>
I have been experimenting with media-based clouds using pigment functions.
After lots of playing, I think I've finally begin to understand the balance
between emitting, absorption, and scattering medias.  I've also found that
method 3 with 1 interval and a decent amount of samples seems to work the
best (in terms of speed/quality).

Images number 1 and 3 were the slowest, about (estimated) 17h and 24h on a
P4 2.66GHz machine running at 60% duty cycle.
Image 2 is much faster, about 4 hours on a P4 3.0 @ 3.5 running 100% duty
cycle
Originals were 800 x 600, except for 3 which was 1024x768

Still working on making thunderheads, I think I've found a way using the
cylindrical pattern and a few transforms...

                        Reactor

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'cloud_test1.jpg' (32 KB) Download 'cloud_test2.jpg' (22 KB) Download 'cloud_test3.jpg' (18 KB)

Preview of image 'cloud_test1.jpg'
cloud_test1.jpg

Preview of image 'cloud_test2.jpg'
cloud_test2.jpg