POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radio Graves 2004 [200k] : Re: Radio Graves 2004 [200k] Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radio Graves 2004 [200k]
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 27 Jul 2004 08:29:37
Message: <41064ab1$1@news.povray.org>
"gonzo" <rgo### [at] lansetcom> wrote in message news:4105c2fb@news.povray.org...
> Jeremy M. Praay wrote:
> > I just can't seem to keep my hands off of my old scenes...
> >
> > Recently, I had a friend (photographer) mention that I should get some
> > prints made of some of my scenes (the finished ones) and he was going to
> > show them to a friend of his who has an art gallery.  At that point, I
would
> > have a couple of them framed.  Worst case, I spend some money and have
more
> > of my own art-work to hang around the house.  Best case, I make a little
> > money.  Either way is acceptable to me.
> >
> > Anyway, I've never been completely happy with the lighting in the
original
> > Radio Graves, but I ran out of time when I submitted it to the IRTC,
plus I
> > still had a lot to learn back then.  So, I changed a few textures
slightly,
> > and turned the "sun" up.  I also realized that Gilles' grass (makegrass)
> > looks a little better when "double illuminate" is used.  Additionally, I
> > used the modified barn from a new picture that I'm working on.  I
purposely
> > tried not to make any drastic changes.
> >
> > Here's the final, final version (for now)... ;-)
>
> Better than ever!
>
> I still find that fence line distracting, but less so with the brighter
> sun. Now its only noticable on the right where the shadowed side is
> facing the camera.

Perhaps, but I really didn't want to change the scene itself very much,
otherwise I would end up second-guessing myself forever.  Mostly, I just
wanted to redo the lighting.

> I'll have to look at the original again, but I think you've made a trade
> off on the wood textures with the brighter sunlight.  The highlights on
> the trim look much better, but the grain isn't as visible on some of the
> flat areas.

Yes, there was somewhat of a trade-off with the wood texture.  In fact, that
was one of the things that made me reluctant to try a brighter sun
initially.  Even so, I think they still look pretty good.  Maybe they could
be better with the brighter sun, but before (the darker image), some flaws
may have been less noticeable.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com