POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Boreal WIP (272 KB) : Re: Boreal WIP (272 KB) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:16:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Boreal WIP (272 KB)
From: Jim Charter
Date: 26 Jul 2004 22:22:32
Message: <4105bc68$1@news.povray.org>
Norbert Kern wrote:
> I want to finish this WIP, but how?
> Starting from an atmosphere test (thanks to Abe for the starting point), the
> scene quickly developed to an half-finished state.
> Recently Gilles Tran motivated me to start working on it again after showing
> an earlier version to him along the way.
> The rock and the dead mossy tree are still likely to be changed.
>
> Two questions:
> - The image seems to lack something - but what? I already added and deleted
> several animals, they didn't seem to fit.

The sense of "lacking" might be primary to the theme itself.  The main
question is who is the viewer?  What is the viewer's relationship to the
plane?  The title is "boreal", northern, but the larger theme is
"primordial", primeval,...pristine. The sense of which is punctuated by
the bush flight.  Whatever else you add to the scene must confront this
dilemma.  That is why animals won't work unless you define what they are
saying about the plane and the viewer.  The scene hinges on this
mystery.  Is it a mundane snap of a plane buzzing a bush fire?  Or is
there something more?

Three things strike me as so wonderful about the scene.  The sense of
the foliage.  Not only the contrast between the structures of two
ancient species, but the  sense of their placement, the way they occupy
space, push against the air, sustain their own weight.  The sense of
terrain, its scale, and its extension into the distance.  And the
dramatic effect of the lens distortion which makes our viewing of the
scene immediately self-conscious.

> - Is the picture bright enough? I have three different LCD monitors, all
> with different Gamma. I want to collect other opinions.

Brightness looks perfect to me. I can see the texture in the closer tree
trunks yet the shadows look deep and delicious.