POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Office finished (191KB) : Re: Office finished (191KB) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:25:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Office finished (191KB)
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 26 Jul 2004 04:28:37
Message: <4104c0b5$1@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

>> That is because of what you expect.
>

> No, that's because they are physically impossible.  No photographic
> technique can generate a photo where a brightness difference of the
> scene in reality is inverted on the photo (i.e. a part brighter than a
> second one in reality is darker than the second one on the photo).

I meant in more general sense than just the examples I provided. But as
I said I don't know how they were made. You just wanted to see images
showing wide dynamic range in single photo. But did you mean that you
want to see an _unmanipulated_ (no composites, no selective brightening
etc.) photograph showing wide dynamic range?

Back to Jamie's image:

First of all you don't know if the things outside are sunlit or in the
shadow - I think they are not and can't be. Second, you don't know how
bright the lamps are supposed to be. So basically you can't say anything
about the ratio of those two lighting conditions and thus how they
should look in a real photograph (what ever that means...)

It is hard to find photos showing wide brightness range with traditional
films using Google but when I make one I try to scan it and post
somewhere. Most of the pics in net are made with digital P&S cameras
which have a very short dynamic range. Nothing compared to traditional
B&W film - allthough digital SLRs are getting better all the time. But
if one wants to imitate a cheapo digicam, then the highlights should be
blown out...

>> How about the third photo on this page:
>>
>> http://www.smsu.edu/design/projects/Library2.htm
>>
>> It at least resembles Jaime's photo distantly.
>
> Not at all, the lighting situation is completely different - one whole
> wall of the room is windows - even without the covering of the windows
> Jaime's room would only have less than 1/3 of one wall as windows.

But the above picture had possibly no lights inside, Jaime's picture
has. But ok, it was a bad example and I can't find now any better. You
just have to believe me :)

Severi Salminen