POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Desert WIP, First concept rendering : Re: Desert WIP, First concept rendering Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Desert WIP, First concept rendering
From: Jim Charter
Date: 26 Jul 2004 01:03:02
Message: <41049086@news.povray.org>
Michael Raiford wrote:

> Yep, this is one thing I would like to address is adding just a bit more
> relief to the sand... some dunes, but I'm having a tough grasp at the
> ridged_mf function...

Ridged_mf isn't the only option.  You can use a simple gradient, say
gradient x, then manipulate the wave_form type and pigment_map (assuming
of course you are working from a pigment function) to get the peaking
effect. There are other patterns and functions that also lend themselves
to this.  Perhaps even the effect of being convex on one side of the
ridge on concave on the other could be done with the pigment map.  Worth
a quick look see I'd say.

> Yes ;) I do have separate textures for the horns and the skull itself.
> I'm curious to know whether Wings saves any UV_Mapping information, if
> so, this would make texturing the horns easy.. I have an idea that I
> want to carry forward.

Wings has its AutoUV functionality which works pretty well for the sort
of simple mapping you have got there.  Though it is something of a
moving target, it being under heavy development and continual revision
lately.  It is, and has always been, heavily automated so you don't get
the manual control that you do with UVmapper.  I have found I rely on
UVmapper lately because I am more familiar with it.  But in the past
AutoUV has worked pretty well.  It would be totally adequate for the
distance from the subject you are working with.  The attached image is
an early effort of mine to use AutoUV in Wings.  The head on the left
has an image_map applied with the UV data Wings generated. You can see
some artifacting on the lips. ( I am certain I could improve on that
now. On right was an attempt to duplicate the result with procedural
texturing)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'head07.jpg' (38 KB)