POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : rest stop information center lighting WIP [~36K jpg] : Re: rest stop information center lighting WIP [~36K jpg] Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:15:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rest stop information center lighting WIP [~36K jpg]
From: Hughes, B
Date: 25 Jul 2004 15:26:45
Message: <41040975$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message
> Hey it's great to see you posting.  You are always so generous helping
> others with their problems.

Awwww, shucks. You left out serve to confuse, too.

> The subject as you describe it suggests something in the American scene
> "banal reality" genre.  But the actual image is quite different from
> that.  More "magic realism" or "American gothic".

Yep, guess so. I've been at rest areas that looked like small parking lots
with a little restroom building as the only structure. And yet, this place
isn't much to look at really IMHO, it's just that the lighting helps to
transform it at night.

Oh, and I left out the fact that one of the first Saturn rockets (this info
found on web: S-1B-11 now displayed vertically at Alabama Welcome Center
with dummy or test S-IV stage and dummy or test Apollo hardware.) stands out
there next to it. They've let the trees grow in so much that its spotlights
are blocked.
There's also a Vietnam War memorial wall, beyond that, along the freeway.
That rocket is getting a bit old to look at anymore, maybe that's just me.
It needs fixing up anyhow.

> All the action is in the interplay of lighting effects between the
> lights of the building and of the evening sky. And it's beautiful,...
> evocative. The varying nature of the color blue. It seems to me that you
> are getting enough from that just as it is.  So it all comes down to the
> foreground.  I don't think you'll be able to finesse it.  Your going to
> have to make a real decision there.

Well, if I add some of the surroundings it'd be more than I ever set out to
do. Heh-heh. Original intent was just what you describe here, to try and
capture that effect I was seeing when I had stopped in there during the
night or after sunset. I know if I were to add the parking lot it'll destroy
the quality of it and expose it for what it really is. Again: heh-heh.
:-)
Bob H.