POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : rest stop information center lighting WIP [~36K jpg] : Re: rest stop information center lighting WIP [~36K jpg] Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rest stop information center lighting WIP [~36K jpg]
From: Hughes, B
Date: 25 Jul 2004 14:38:25
Message: <4103fe21@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlnet> wrote in message

> Immediately appealing! It needs very little else I think, because the
> building and the lighting embodies fully a dreamlike quality, or the
strong
> internal wish for coffee. It comes up like a kind of fata morgana out of
the
> highway desert. "stop here and rest, stranger" it seems to say.

Thanks Thomas! I think you perceive something of what I have thought about
the place (if not moreso!). It's not an elaborate building really, just that
the night time lighting does something for it. The front steps are wide and
the perimeter porchlike, giving it an inviting look. Those steps on the
corners probably don't come down from both directions though, I'm just
remembering it that way, I think. But there are steps all around, in the
back like the front. And "front" here means the side facing the interstate
road as you'd be driving toward it. Parking is at the side, also from the
viewpoint seen here.

> the lighting is very good. The brickwork seems interesting, but the image
is
> little bit too small to see details. Perhaps some more variation in the
hues
> of the bricks? I think there is, though...

Bricks were just one color, with the lower part of the building causing
parts to be in shadow. Attached image shows a technique by Zeger Knaepen for
including the cells pattern for individual colorations. It's perfect for
this.

There needs to be some rescaling of things (brick, doorway) to get it all to
fit real measurements. I'm tempted to drive the 75 miles, round trip, just
to make photos.

People are likely to ask about those bricks so I searched for it and found
Zeger's here:
http://news.povray.org/povray.text.scene-files/thread/%3C4052875b%241%40news.povray.org%3E/
Having trouble getting there so also look at newsgroup
povray.text.scene-files for subject line 'brick-texture (for Darren New)',
dated March 14, 2004.

Bob H.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: