POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Progressive refinement patch : Re: Progressive refinement patch Server Time
28 Jun 2024 23:43:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Progressive refinement patch
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 25 Jul 2004 14:05:43
Message: <4103f676@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> Wolfgang Wieser wrote:
>>>- document it well
>>
>> What is the preferred way for the documentation?
>
> Well readable, understandable, elaborate and correct.  Everything else
> is quite unimportant (and history shows that these are the weak points
> in patch documentation, not the file formats etc.)

Are you talking about documentation for the end user or
about documentation of the source code routines/classes?

>>>- do test renders to check for possible problems
>>
>> The patch is actually fairly well-tested for 3.5.
>
> I have not yet seen any examples on how it performs memory wise (which
> will obviously be *the* problem of such a patch) same for how it
> interferes with radiosity and antialiasing.

Correct. Because as stated on the "patch home page":

"PRT should enable you to see the interesting parts of the image more
quickly. Hence, PRT is designed to be an aid when designing a scene.
Consequently, it does not support anti-aliasing (and currently also
no radiosity)."

The anti-aliasing issue is as follows:
There are two render modes in normal POVRay:
adaptive tracing and non-adaptive tracing.
My patch adds a third one: progressive refinement tracing.

One could, of course, additionally implement anti-aliasing for PRT.
However, I see no point in doing so.

Concerning radiosity, there should not be any principle problem; I'll
see if I can support it in the version to come.

Wolfgang