POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : mask WIP [24 K] : Re: mask WIP [24 K] Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:20:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mask WIP [24 K]
From: gonzo
Date: 19 Jul 2004 23:58:10
Message: <40fc9852@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:
> Ross wrote:
>
>> is it suposed to look like leather tightly wrapped on wood? or is it
>> supposed to be wood? the shine doesn't look right for wood that might be
>> really old. however it all looks pretty authentic.
>>

> Bare Wood.  The problem is the normal I believe.  It needs much more
> irregular detail and crisper edges.  I think a little variety in the
> finish would also help.  I thought I would just settle for a slightly
> burnished patina on this cut before I spent the rest of my lifetime on
> it ;)
> Even when examining the masks in the museum, I is often hard to tell if
> it is covered in skin as you mention.  Usually the peeling away around
> the eyes is the only way to decide for sure.  Then there is the various
> layers of pigment, dirt etc.  The photo reference I am using for this
> one leaves no doubt that it is bare chiselled wood that has become
> burnished with wear.  But I could find nothing quite like it in the
> museum to observe for real.

I would expect this to be a very hard wood, but your specular highlights
are too soft, more like a laquer. Try a very high phong_size to make it
harder.  When I have worked with old wood that has that deeply burnished
worn-in shine, the specular highlights are very tight, often changing
with every line in the grain.

Very nice image though, great modeling.

RG