POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : mask WIP [24 K] : Re: mask WIP [24 K] Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:16:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mask WIP [24 K]
From: Jim Charter
Date: 19 Jul 2004 15:34:40
Message: <40fc2250$1@news.povray.org>
Ross wrote:
> is it suposed to look like leather tightly wrapped on wood? or is it
> supposed to be wood? the shine doesn't look right for wood that might be
> really old. however it all looks pretty authentic.

Bare Wood.  The problem is the normal I believe.  It needs much more
irregular detail and crisper edges.  I think a little variety in the
finish would also help.  I thought I would just settle for a slightly
burnished patina on this cut before I spent the rest of my lifetime on it ;)
Even when examining the masks in the museum, I is often hard to tell if
it is covered in skin as you mention.  Usually the peeling away around
the eyes is the only way to decide for sure.  Then there is the various
layers of pigment, dirt etc.  The photo reference I am using for this
one leaves no doubt that it is bare chiselled wood that has become
burnished with wear.  But I could find nothing quite like it in the
museum to observe for real.