POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : checkered sphere on a chrome plane : Re: checkered sphere on a chrome plane Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:28:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: checkered sphere on a chrome plane
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 8 Jul 2004 14:29:23
Message: <40ed9283$1@news.povray.org>
SomeOne wrote:

> I thought I'd try something different as an exercise. I want to create a
> chechered sphere.
> Trying to make a sphere with a checkered pigment won't give nice results. So I
> thought I'd try my hand a "image_map"ing. I created an image_map (see attached
> checker.png) and created a sphere with an image_map like this:
>
> sphere{
>  0,1
>  pigment {
>       image_map {png "checker.png"}
>       scale 0.2
>   }
> }
>
> What I don't get is how to make the image map wrap the entire sphere nicely.
> I'd be interested to hear how you pro's do this.

This will get the checkered sphere you were looking for:

sphere{
  0,1
  pigment {

       checker rgb 0 rgb 1
       scale 0.1
       warp { spherical }
  }

Change the pigment pattern to the following to use an image map. Note
this will stretch the entire image to the sphere. To get smaller checks,
use smaller checks in the image map:

  image_map {png "checker.png" map_type 1}
       scale 0.2

--
~Mike