POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : LOTW 040704 (159K) : Re: LOTW 040704 (159K) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LOTW 040704 (159K)
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 5 Jul 2004 06:36:04
Message: <40e92f14$1@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> Nice, how does the render speed of the sky part compare to the terrain?
>  I assume the sky is quite a bit slower?

   Yes... although not much more. A solution I figured out for quick
skies is to choose a fixed sun placement and render a spherical map of
the media clouds to use it later on the scene with the same sun
position, but it needs very high resolution images. Rendering a decent
skymap can take several weeks... and it only serves for a concrete sun
placement.

   BTW, I used 3 intervals, not 2 as I said before.

> Is this randomly set up or did you select the composition manually?

   Almost totally random, as I added an optional main seed to generate
individual seeds for each feature. In this one I've manually selected
the terrain and fog colors, the sun placement, and the diameter and
center of the vegetation area (based on the camera placement, which is
random, as it should be!;)

   There is something very addictive in trying seed after seed until you
find a nice setup... I'm using the animation features to get a different
landscape on each frame, so I can let it automatically render many low
res tests, to latter chose the best ones and tweak them manually.

--
Jaime