POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : LOTW 040704 (159K) : Re: LOTW 040704 (159K) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:30:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LOTW 040704 (159K)
From: Jim Charter
Date: 4 Jul 2004 14:02:40
Message: <40e84640$1@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:

Words will surely fail...

But among other things, I love the complexity, but with variation, that
  you get in the vegetated, eroded slope descending on the left,...I can
see getting one or the other, but both? And then you add the further
element of exposed rock structure on the vertical face!

Whether it was previously, your landscapes have become a contemplation.
We have the look of raw chaos, balanced against a sense of chaos directed.

I believe, with this picture for instance, this contemplation does not
depend on admiration for your technique. Beacuse you have achieve a
degree of realism which delivers to the viewer the experience of viewing
a landscape. It is not an actual picture of existing landscape.  Neither
is it a result produced from describing the events that generate
landscape.  Rather it is a picture which harnesses the computer's
ability with complexity to produce the look of landscape.  And
contemplating the look of a landscape is exactly what we do when we
climb to a vantage and gaze out.

But your technique, oriented towards producing a universal landscape
engine, does add a dimension of meaning. Automation gives us complexity
in the form of quantity.  To this we can add variation, some random,
some not.  But the variation you produce looks truly various not
simulated, and just in the way a landscape does. How do you achieve
that, one wonders. To automate you must establish parameters, and
general structures, to direct random events. The additions of scene
elements can never rise above a manual checklist. So landscape is not
infinitely various? Yet it is this sense of unlimited variation that
gives so much pleasure.  Is your guide post creation itself, or the look
of creation?