POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Golden Nuts 'n Bolts : Re: Thanks everyone! (Attached is Nuts 'n Bolts with default texture) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thanks everyone! (Attached is Nuts 'n Bolts with default texture)
From: stephen parkinson
Date: 3 Jul 2004 18:25:40
Message: <40e73264$1@news.povray.org>
Hugo Asm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks to all of you for your replies! The POV-Ray forum surely belongs to
> the best places on the Internet because people here get the best treatment
> along with great advices.
>
> I will collect my reply in one post this time:
>
> Xplo Eristotle wrote:
>
>>If you're going for photorealism here, you'll want
>>a more realistic surface for them to rest on.
>

> Indeed, the ground looks more like grey pancake. Next time I'll try
> something else.
>

> Jeremy Praay wrote:
>
>>Could the chrome-like appearance be due to a blue
>>sky_sphere?  That would be my best guess.  If so, simply
>>changing the sky_sphere and/or other surroundings may
>>make them look a little more golden.
>

> I can understand why you think it's a sky_sphere, but it's actually a
> blueish area of light (both in terms of light_sources and in terms of an
> object) to the right.
>
> Blue gives the image a natural coldness in contrast to the area on the left
> side, that is slightly red and warm. To obtain a more golden look, I could
> change the blue light but I'd also loose the "natural coldness" element and
> I don't think that should be necessary. I think (without having a sample of
> gold nearby) that real gold has a higher diffuse value and is less
> reflective, so it keeps more of it's own yellow color... Anyone please
> correct me if I'm wrong.
>

> Tek wrote:
>
>>Are those imperfections in the model or in
>>the material? They really make it look convincing.
>

> Yes, imperfections are important. There are some imperfections in the model,
> as you can see in the attached image. What probably can't be seen in the
> attached image, are all the round edges. But there are no perfectly sharp
> edges on these models. In concert with specular reflection this increases
> realism and helps to define an objects shape. It's possible though, that I
> went a little overboard with the soft edges, so the screws look melted.
>

>>my only suggestion would be to do several
>>different materials based on this
>

> That's a good idea and could help in finding the perfect material for
> various purposes. I should do that - and hope they'll work in other
> enviroments too, but this has not always worked in the past.
>

> Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:
>
>>Indeed, your Wings3D skills are really good.
>

> Oh, thanks! It's about a year ago now that I began with Wings3D and I was a
> complete newbie to polygon modelling back then. I'm slowly improving and it
> seems we're both going to benefit from this software. I originally had the
> same problem as you regarding the interfaces of other modelling
> applications. But Wings3D quickly becomes an extended part of ones hands.
>

> Marneus Calgar wrote:
>
>>It's a photo ???? no, it can't be a render,
>>it's too realistic !!!! Awesome!
>

> Love these kind of responses.  :-)  Again, thanks to everyone for replying.
> [...]
are the imperfections carefully applied by hand ?
bo;t top dead center and the two vert below it
bottom one of the three even looks like someone slipped with a screwdriver

why do i get the feeling the nuts won't go the bolts ?
the threads in the nuts look more like a series of circles ???

having said that, i thought photo on the first image and still do
for the second, maybe in about 30yrs if i keep trying.......

stephen