POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Tierra (LOTW) : Re: Tierra (LOTW) Server Time
2 Sep 2024 02:14:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tierra (LOTW)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 29 Jun 2004 07:59:52
Message: <40e159b8$1@news.povray.org>
In article <40df4204@news.povray.org> , Jaime Vives Piqueres
<jai### [at] ignoranciaorg>  wrote:

>> Great!  After rendering at a 2:1 aspect ratio I still do have one question:
>> Should the landscape and sky look like the one you posted April 29th?
>
>    Of course no! Any resemblance between images I post and the code I
> publish will be mere coincidence... :)

OK, maybe I should start picking on the "unrealistic" parts of the images
your scene generates: I think the general landscape looks really good and
sufficiently detailed (currently rendering one at 3600*2400 on my system at
work), but the clouds suffer from being colored to heavily when compared to
a "real" photograph.  Just compare the cloud colors with those used in your
scene with real clouds (taken both at about 14:00 a few days prior to summer
solstice at about 48 degrees latitude) to your scene's clouds* -
<http://mac.povray.org/new/clouds.jpg>.

As you can see, the bottom colors of the clouds are far to heavy in
particular for the given amount of sunlight.  Also, the atmosphere is a bit
too dense (and too dark at the horizon) for a good weather mountain day.  I
think you you tweak that a bit, your images if rendered at appropriate
resolutions cannot be told apart from photographs!  You could even get
prints of them...

    Thorsten

* The bottom one.  Note that all three image slices had previously been
color corrected on their own using the Photoshop "auto color" function,
which actually made the colors of your scene much more realistic, too :-)

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde