POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Raytraced luminous color bleeding (80kb jpeg) : Re: Raytraced luminous color bleeding (80kb jpeg) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:31:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Raytraced luminous color bleeding (80kb jpeg)
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 25 Jun 2004 13:30:04
Message: <40dc611c@news.povray.org>

news:cbh7i2$50e$1@chho.imagico.de...

> The problem is quite simple. What you do this way is circumventing the
> rules of the IRTC.  This is fine IMO but it should lead to the rules
> being modified to be more precise and allow less 'tricks' to circumvent
> them.  Since the IRTC rules have not been changed at all recently post
> processing with external tools is now in fact allowed.  This is not bad
> per se but the rule is a joke then and should be removed.

I think that the spirit of the original rule is to prevent photoshopping,
because otherwise it would be impossible to prevent obviously unacceptable
(*) modifications of a rendered image, like painting new elements by hand.

Perhaps the rule could just be altered by stating that the image generation
(rendering + ant not-rendered effect) should be done with the same program.
This would prevent the use of paint programs while officially authorising
post-processing when done with built-in features of the renderer, including
SDL-based post-processing.

The phrase:
"Images must not be enhanced or altered ('post-processed') by use of paint
programs such as PhotoShop(tm) etc."

could then be replaced by:

"Images must not be modified by use of a program other than the original
renderer".

G.

(*) in the context of a rendering competition of course

--

http://www.oyonale.com