POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : javascipt animated web pages : Re: javascipt animated web pages Server Time
18 Jul 2024 16:26:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: javascipt animated web pages
From: Tek
Date: 23 Jun 2004 04:08:44
Message: <40d93a8c$1@news.povray.org>
Wow that page loads r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w-l-y!
And my net connection's currently 800kbps so that's probably not the problem.

I have to confess a pet hate of mine is sites that load really slowly, and
having looked through some of the images I think I have a few suggestions:
firstly, you've gone for a very clean graphical style, this is great because
with only a little alteration you can make it gif really well.

I notice at the moment most of your images are jpegs, but if you can flatten the
colours a little more you should be able to get really small gifs. Obviously
this can be done better with some toon rendering tricks in povray, but just for
an example I've messed with this randomly chosen image and got 32k down to 9k,
i.e. the page would load 3 times faster.

Otherwise if you don't care about people with slow modems, then I suggest you
shift the site to a faster server so the rest of us don't have to sit here
waiting for the page to download!

--
Tek
www.evilsuperbrain.com

"Tony LaVigne" <ton### [at] xenomechanicscom> wrote in message
> Below are some web pages I've written that use javascipt to control tabled
> images (Povray generated). The animations are simple, some you would really
> call mouse over/off events. I used MATLAB to chop up the animated images
> and generate javascript/table html scrip. The links are listed below.
>
> http://www.xenoplates.com
> http://www.xenoplates.com/HOW/how.html
> http://www.xenoplates.com/WHAT/what.html
> http://www.xenoplates.com/contact/
>
> The last page takes about a minute to play out (once it's loaded).  The
> pages are still underconstuction and some of them are bulky to use so if
> you have a slow modem you may want to move on to the next thread.   The
> world may not be ready for the fusion of POVRAY and javascript (or at least
> the way I did it) but here it is.
> thanks
> tony

Post a reply to this message