POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : radiosity and textures? : Re: radiosity and textures? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 21:08:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: radiosity and textures?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 21 Jun 2004 16:43:10
Message: <40d7485e$1@news.povray.org>

news:40d73138@news.povray.org...
> I've been working on a texture for tree bark. With
> conventional lighting and no radiosity it looks
> pretty much ok in my opinion (norad.jpg), but when
> I try it out in my scene, with radiosity and very
> little conventional light it looks very different
> and substantially worse (rad.jpg).

Radiosity isn't very gentle on small normals and doesn't give highlights, so
a bumpy map with almost rad-only lighting looks typically flat.
In a sunlit outdoor scene, using normal conventional lighting and radiosity
at the same time works pretty well and is relatively easy to set up. You get
the best of both worlds with these scenes: deep shadows, bright highlights
and perfect radiosity "bleeding".
Cloudy outdoor scenes relying mostly on radiosity are a little bit trickier,
particularly on natural objects with complex textures. Light_groups may come
handy for adding some shadows and hightlights in those cases.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com