POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Complex 3D shapes using isosurface : Complex 3D shapes using isosurface Server Time
10 Aug 2024 21:05:06 EDT (-0400)
  Complex 3D shapes using isosurface
From: Groucho
Date: 20 Jun 2004 07:10:17
Message: <40d57099@news.povray.org>
Hi folks!

This is my frist post and I'd like to know your opinion.
This gothic cloister is made object by object, i.e. stone by stone. The
columns are made of small cylinders with rounded corners, the walls with
small rounded boxes, etc. The roof is made also lime by lime. The only
bitmap texture used is the grass (with no big success, I guess).

I'm now programming (let me use this verb) a complete gothic cathedral using
the same procedure.

And now, let me arise one question: If you watch carefully and the image,
you can see that the boxes have a random ondulation. This is because they
are made with isosurface and the internal function f_rounded_box. I just
added some noise to the function. But the columns don't have this noise
because there is no functions to make a rounded cylinder. In my new
production (the Cathedral) I'm also using octogonal prisms and many other
complex 3D shapes, but they are made by unions of spheres (for the corners)
cylinders (for the vertices) and meshes (for the faces), so I can not assign
this random ondulation. Can you advise on any methodology to create complex
3D shapes using isosurface? A complex 3D shape for me is something like a
prism with irregular hexagonal base and a small curvature as it grows.

Cheers

Groucho-1024.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: