POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : First post - Spires : Re: First post - Spires Server Time
10 Aug 2024 21:02:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First post - Spires
From: Tim Bates
Date: 18 Jun 2004 22:18:26
Message: <40d3a272$1@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
> Adjust the radii of the cylinders to make up for camera viewing angle.
> That way, despite the perspective of the camera, all of the lines will
> appear to be of the same width.

I tried to do this in the previous version; my algorithm wasn't quite
correct. I think I've fixed it now, and it looks better allthough not
quite perfect.

> In order to punch out the blocks, try using four light sources. One
> point light for your shadows, and one shadowless, dim, parallel light
> from each of the y, -z, and -x directions. Give each light a different
> brightness to fake the illumination from your point light source. This
> will give the hand-drawn cube look (dark side, medium side, light side)
> to each cube, even those in shadow.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've done that, although it's not overly
apparent in the image because of the reflection.

To save filling up the newsgroup server, and to satisfy the requests for
desktop-sized PNGs, you can get the final version here:

http://www.bates.id.au/images/spires640x480.png         (256K)
http://www.bates.id.au/images/spires800x600.png         (344K)
http://www.bates.id.au/images/spires1024x768.png        (472K)
http://www.bates.id.au/images/spires1280x1024.png       (640K)