POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : some rad testing 172 Kb : Re: some rad testing 172 Kb Server Time
10 Aug 2024 23:22:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: some rad testing 172 Kb
From: Shay
Date: 15 Jun 2004 10:24:49
Message: <40cf06b1$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message

Excellent model.

I agree with you on the buckle, and the jagged lines in the 3.6 are I'm
sure easily corrected. Hard to tell if on the whole this in quite there
yet without the textures. There were areas in your "shoe study" post
(like the laces) which were truly eye catching and IMO perfectly
rendered. I can't see anything like that here yet, but, again, that may
just be the lack of textures.

The HDRI version looks bad, IMO. I much prefer the classic studio look
of the radiosity renders.

<tangent warning>
There is a technology which can take several frames of a crappy, VHS
security video and, by selecting only those pixels which demonstrate
integrity by remaining constant across several frames, produce a clear
picture of a license plate. The reverse effect can be seen when pausing
a recorded VHS tape of a semi-staticy television program. The moving
picture might have made sense, but the paused frame can be
unrecognizable. In this way, I think that studio lit (or even "flat")
pictures, while seeming less photo-real, in reality give a *more*
accurate picture of how our minds perceive a specific object. We can
more easily IMO perceive the fixed dimensions of length, width, and
height without the distraction of transient "dimensions" like time and
position.
</tangent>

 -Shay