POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : photons and sunpos.inc : Re: photons and sunpos.inc Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:15:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: photons and sunpos.inc
From: Hughes, B
Date: 15 Jun 2004 08:38:48
Message: <40ceedd8$1@news.povray.org>
"Phil Cook" <phi### [at] nospamdeckingdealscouk> wrote in message

> As a quick solution try upping the reflection values (0.1 seems to work):
> 9.1.3.5 Photon mapping is calculated only for those (user-specified)
> objects that need it (ie. objects that have reflection and/or refraction).
>
> As your objects barely reflect or refract maybe there aren't enough
> photons doing anything worth storing?

I think that statement from the doc might just be about using photon blocks
with target and/or collect. There may be a reflection threshold going on,
too, but nothing I'd know about; aside from the count, spacing, and some
other settings anyway.

Besides, I already tried increasing the reflections and got the same result
concerning the map not saving if 'count' were used. I didn't raise that
above 2 million, where-- IIRC-- it caused the "photons shot" number to
increase, however it just refused to save a map even then. Without having
tried everything possible I could never say it would never do so, just that
it seems a bit odd for it to not reach that point with a lower count than
that anyway.

I should say, though, 'spacing' has always been my usual method of using
photons so this trouble with count isn't anything I'm likely to encounter
myself.
;-)

Bob H.