POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV-Ray 3.5 for AmigaOS : Re: Bah. Server Time
5 Jul 2024 15:51:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bah.
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 4 Jun 2004 03:17:25
Message: <40c02205@news.povray.org>
In article <40bfb232$1@news.povray.org> , Dan P <dan### [at] yahoocom>
wrote:

> Oh, and if your code was so damn good, TF, it wouldn't have crashed
> using a straight-up clean compile on this OS so step-off.

Given what you have done to the code and probably the makefile, this is
hardly surprising!  Get a clue, then start to mess with the source code, not
the other way around.  As it stands, you wasted tons of your time to "fix"
something that you simply did not understand.

> Warnings warn you of when your code may behave differently on other OS's
> as well. I'm not saying that is true in this case -- it makes sense not
> to call another function there if we don't have to --

Making fairly random changes all over the code is not the correct approach
to try to fix a problem in a program.  A debugger is!

> but I didn't think it was "nonsensical".

It is because you assume you know so much better than the original authors
and that those tens of individuals were all so stupid that we needed you to
come along and fix our code.  Did it occur to you that this is not likely?

    Thorsten

PS: You are not the first person to not understand what a multicharacter
constant is, it has been discussed in this group before, so I will add a
note to that file to help all those people understand.  Never expected
something like this would be necessary <sigh>

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde