POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV-Ray 3.5 for AmigaOS : Re: POV-Ray 3.5 for AmigaOS Server Time
1 Jul 2024 06:37:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3.5 for AmigaOS
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 3 Jun 2004 09:27:14
Message: <40bf2732$1@news.povray.org>
In article <40B### [at] yahoocom> , Dan P <dan### [at] yahoocom>
wrote:

> Aside from a lot of warnings that arose because of implicit casting from
> a double to a long or int (which I resolved using (int) floor() just
> because I'm very, very strict about treating warnings as errors)

You should really learn to know the difference between a warning and an
error.  A warning is not an error and as such, it is very likely the machine
informing you about something possibly unintentional is wrong.

> I found
> that, in the file "povmsgid.cpp", the enumerations were assigned to
> static strings surrounded by single quotes, which is something I have
> never seen before --

Get a book about C or C++ programming...

> first, I thought enums had to assign to ints, and
> second, I thought single quotes were for characters, not strings). The
> compiler agreed on both counts and gave me quite a lashing about
> what-for about it. So, I created a PERL script to grab each of those
> strings and generate a file with defines called "povtypes.h" and made
> those defines with unique IDs starting from 1000. Then, I went to
> "povmsgid.cpp" and got rid of those double-quotes and dealt with the
> strings like '****' by making it 'AAAA' and 'NULL' by making it 'NuLL'.
> When that compiled, I started tracing the include hierarchy and building
> the Makefile. Sore fingers later, and a lot of clean-compiles and
> thank-Gods later, I still waswondering what the "goal" of those defines
> was and if there is something fundamental that I'm missing about the
> whole affair that is going to bite me in the cheeks later.

Argh - lkjxfsliaejkisddjhfsuikufdfkljhfkljapsdauojsdl - my brain hurts when
I even read about somebody doing pure nonsense this!

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde