POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV-Ray 3.5 for AmigaOS : Milestone! Compiled!!! Server Time
1 Jul 2024 06:50:24 EDT (-0400)
  Milestone! Compiled!!!
From: Dan P
Date: 3 Jun 2004 01:37:52
Message: <40beb930$1@news.povray.org>
Milestone! After porting libtiff to the Amiga (I'm thinking of
contributing it to Geek Gadgets) and removing the version number from
the output for the PNG library (must have an old library that did not
include the function -- will look into it) and setting the define to say
that there is no X Display (this isn't X-Windows!), I've managed to
successfully compile and install POV-Ray 3.5 on the Amiga! I have yet to
run the tests, but this m68k executable should work. When I get my
3000T, I'll make sure to run tests on a native platform.

Next step: Make an icon, have it spawn a shell that lets the user just
type 'povray' without having to do any special setup, package the proper
files using lharc, and link it to the web-site. Then, I'm ambitious
enough to learn programming Intuition to port over the interface from
Windows/Mac to the platform. Seems like it is a great way to learn it
since it is really just a text editor with some special menus and a
window display that captures the output and displays it progressively.

If an when I get to a point where you are thinking me serious enough to
do an official distribution, know in advance that I'm willing to do what
it takes to bring POV-Ray 3.5 officially to the Amiga. I have a dream:
to see povray.programming.amiga be a newsgroup where the ten or so
people who use it find a home :-) With the other effort, AmiZilla, Amiga
just might come back. It should. It is the operating system we all
actually want today. I'm going to bet the last Amiga team said something
similar.

Here is the latest screenshot:
http://<broken link>/images/amipovray2.gif

I haven't actually compiled a scene yet (I'm so excited to get to this
point!) There are lots of warnings in the code, so I'm a little worried
about some of it. I'll feel a lot better when it passes all the tests.

PS: I used the actual 'configure' script to compile this, so yes:
gcc/g++ works! There were minor Amiga-specific tweaks I had to made, but
nothing that a more seasoned Amiga programmer would even notice.
--
Respectfully,          "Leave it to the coward to make a religion
Dan P            of his cowardice by preaching humility."