POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A Rose (WIP #3) : Re: A Rose (Final Preview) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:23:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Rose (Final Preview)
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 1 Jun 2004 05:30:59
Message: <40bc4cd3$1@news.povray.org>
> 15 minutes *without* AA? :-| Brimey... that's devoted! LOL.
>
> Good luck with it! *thumbs up* Can't wait to see how long the finished
> one takes... ;-)

The finished one required 1 day, 2 hours,52 minutes and 17 seconds non-stop
rendering, but I have been doing some other stuff along as well, so it might
have been a few hours shorter if I hadn't played Mafia. Add another 2 hours
for a change, I've colored the thorns to gradient from stem-green towards a
brown tip. A little more diversity in a pic can't harm, right?

The final image was rendered at 3200x2400, with Antialiasing Method 2,
Recursive Level 2. If I'd rendered a smaller pic, e.g. just for a wallpaper,
I'd use higher recursion on the antialiasing, but since the pixels are
barely visible on the print later on, level 2 suffices. Filesize is 22mb,
Bitmap. It says in the statistics from the rerun for that changed section,
that a max memory peak was a 66mb. Does that change significantly if I'd
render the entire image at once?

I've also noted that 75 intervals wasn't really enough, the "layers" of
intervals are still visible. Won't be obvious on a print though, just in
close-up. I'll have to fiddle some more with media to see if the randomness
of some meda can't be exploited to a degree to make this layering disappear
whilst achieving good results.

I've posted a close-up on the clouds to explain what I mean in a different
thread.

Regards,
Tim

--