POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Twisty Wires and long sparks. : Re: Twisty Wires and long sparks. Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Twisty Wires and long sparks.
From: Dave VanHorn
Date: 23 May 2004 12:34:36
Message: <40b0d29c$1@news.povray.org>
> Your "Big Whopping Sparks" image is looking really nice.  The spark
> technique you've used creates a very pleasing effect.  The only thing
> that's really bothering me is the plexiglass material.  The numerous
> reflections made it hard for me to figure what exactly I was looking at.
>   But other than that, you've made some excellent progress and I look
> forward to seeing the final image.

I'm not really pleased with that yet, and it has no refraction at the
moment, but that's a minor issue.

> Heh, your caps are considerably larger than mine.  I settled on 0.0047uF
> 10kV ones for my design and they were expensive enough as it is :)  If
> you don't mind me asking, where did you get your caps.  Larger ones
> might be useful in the future and they're harder to find than most
> components.

These particular ones I got at the Dayton Hamfest for $1 each.  23 of them
in a tub.
I've charged them all to 10kV, no failures. :)

I have a source in China for larger voltage/C values, but getting some
actually here is proving difficult.  It's easy to buy a containerload, hard
to buy 10's.