POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Big Whopping Sparks : Re: Big Whopping Sparks Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:24:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Big Whopping Sparks
From: Dave VanHorn
Date: 21 May 2004 21:25:00
Message: <40aeabec$1@news.povray.org>
> Q1 About how long does it take from power-on to discharge?

Typically seconds, but it mostly depends on your power supply.
In some versions, the resistors are replaced by inductors, so there's
essentially no resistance in the system.

> Q2 Can you charge the caps to just below the discharge point and then
> trigger the contraption with a pulse?

Sure, or use a high voltage relay to fire the first gap. The UV from it
triggers the others.

> Alf (very curious)

The sign on the right is fairly serious.
I work with 15-30kV sometimes, and that is done with two in the room only.
One working, one standing by.