POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sparky (for Dave VanHorn) : Re: Sparky (for Dave VanHorn) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:18:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sparky (for Dave VanHorn)
From: Dave VanHorn
Date: 21 May 2004 00:28:54
Message: <40ad8586@news.povray.org>
It's definitely getting there.
I have to get the lighting amounts roughly right, they are a BIT overdone in
this image.

It does take a LONG time to trace now, even through I cut the main spark
down to 50 lights, and the minor ones to 3 lights.  (BTW: What happens if I
set it to 1 or 2 lights?)

I used to have an area light at 2 illuminating the scene, now it's cranked
down to 0.75 in this scene, and I'm working on minimizing that.

I need to work on the main spark, it's not as complicated as I'd like but I
still want the softer look that I have here. You get a sort of "burning"
look with the longer discharges, as the heated nitrogen rises and cools.

I got tired of the checkered floor.  Interestingly, I was going for a
fractally checkered floor, but this dosen't work:

#declare Floor = object { plane { y, // <X Y Z> unit surface normal, vector
points "away from surface"
                                  0 // distance from the origin in the
direction of the surface normal
                                  photons { target reflection on refraction
off }
                                }
                          texture { hexagon
                                    texture {White_Plastic}