POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : shoe study : Re: shoe study Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:14:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: shoe study
From: Jim Charter
Date: 20 May 2004 19:29:33
Message: <40ad3f5d$1@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:

>   That's incredibly professional looking... are you a shoe modelist, or
> it is a hobby only? I know some professionals here who will kill to have
> such skills.

Thanks for the praises!  Hobbyist only, though if I could earn a living
making cg models of shoes I would be a happy individual. This is really
my first full fledged attempt at modelling shoes in mesh.  There were
some very early attempts in sPatch when I first discovered POVRay
(making a glass slipper was an obvious idea to try), but it was beyond
my patience and skill at the time.  Couple years ago I got involved
briefly with Maya and did some models of generic shoes using nurbs.
They can be seen in my entry for Worlds Within Worlds.  That entry also
has a shoe modelled entirely using POV generated splines ( the ruby
slippers ).  I also played with that POV-spline technique in modelling
shoes for abortive entries for "Gardens" and "Fantasy".  I had intended
to have topiaries of shoes in the one and, you guessed it, a crystal
glass slipper in the other. My current interest in the subject was
revived when I needed a break from my "Primates Series" efforts.

Most of the shaping is much easier in polygon mesh.  The real power came
with a combined use of the Wings' Extract, Extrude, and Intrude
commands.  The main drawback is the inability to create spline-curved
edges but clever use of the Bevel command can be used to improvised this.

Maybe I will make a short tutorial.  Shaping a shoe is really not so
difficult and it would demonstrate some of the power of Wings tools