POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : shoe study : Re: shoe study Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: shoe study
From: Jim Charter
Date: 20 May 2004 11:31:38
Message: <40accf5a$1@news.povray.org>
Hugo Asm wrote:

> Really nice shoes, and really nice to see fellow Wing'ers. That's the two
> greatest freeware tools - Wings3d and POV-Ray!

Made extensive use of the "Intrude" function with this model.  Also the
new "Slide" tool.  Bigtime use of the slide tool actually.

The next challenge is to get some really fine detailing such as
stitching without getting artificting or ridiculously heavy mesh.  Two
approaches I want to explore are: to try and simulate sub-d techniques
in-so-far as looking for ways to apply fine mesh just to certain
features with graceful transitions to more broadly treated areas, or,
making the mesh solid and using csg differencing to achieve certain
topography.

> Well, the shoes are very dark - not sure it's unrealistic - but it doesn't
> help us in judging the shape.

Yes, I was definitely trying too get the rich effect of a very dark,
lusterous black, and at the same time deliver tactile surface quality.
For I long time I got either the look of patent leather (yuck!) or
leatherette (equal yuck!) or something similarly artificial looking...
or else just too dark to see any surface form.

I started getting results approximating what I wanted with two
"breakthroughs".  First, cranking the specular up over 1 in the finish.
  Second, specifyinging a poly_wave with a fractional exponent value in
my crackle texture.

Hope I can refine the results further.