POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Big spark : Re: Big spark Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:15:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Big spark
From: Dave VanHorn
Date: 18 May 2004 18:42:21
Message: <40aa914d$1@news.povray.org>
> Ah, nothing like a bit of humor. Is this 'Jacob's Elevator'? :)

A marx generator.
For this to work right, you need a fast, powerful erection.
Erection in this context, is the process where the first spark gap (usually
the bottom) fires, and the UV light from it, triggers the ones above it to
fire.  This puts all the caps in series, and does the voltage
multiplication..

While my unit has a modest working voltage (10,000V/Stage) the caps are
unusually large at 0.05uF (50,000pF) which means that a lot of energy will
be stored.  About 50 Joules in this case, and released in a few
microseconds, which could mean about 5,000,000 - 10,000,000 watts peak
power.

Here's a guy who's done something similar.
http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com/marxgenerator01.htm

I love
> it! All you need now to finish the scene is a stretched rope between two
> posts (or some other form of blockade).

I have one, I just turned it off.  I think it makes the image "cluttered".