POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Meet 'Nelly'... : Re: Meet 'Nelly'... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:30:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Meet 'Nelly'...
From: St
Date: 13 May 2004 19:04:23
Message: <40a3fef7@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message
> St. wrote:
> > Joking apart Jim, what would you suggest for a background to this?
>
> It depends on what you want the picture to be about I guess.

  What would you say that this picture is *about*?

But with
> that bit of preaching out of the way I would say there is nothing
> essentially wrong with what you already have.

Thank you. I'm building on it. I finished the elephant today, and
*I'm* happy with him. :)

It would be fairly easy
> to add a few elements to suggest an open savannah setting.  A few
trees
> on the horizon, some grass.  And that could be elaborated and varied
> indefinitely as to time of day and degree of texture in foreground
> elements to get a nice wildlife scene.

   Ah well Jim, you're not far away from knowing me, that's for sure!
:)

   I thought as much, and I hope you're not disappointed with the
final.

> The one thing that doesn't read well for me is the lighting and the
way
> the shadows fall.  The shadow the head casts on the ground looks
like it
> could be the shadow of the left forefoot which then makes that foot
look
> like it is floating in space.  In addition the shadow on the right
side
> of the elephant abscures a lot of detail which frustrates the
viewer.

    Agreed, and you were right. I changed the original scene and
lighting two days ago now - it looks fine.

     ~Steve~