POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Going Home : Re: Going Home Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:27:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Going Home
From: Marc Jacquier
Date: 13 May 2004 03:23:22
Message: <40a3226a$1@news.povray.org>

40a2a958$1@news.povray.org...

> Remember that we are inside the atmosphere which causes the apparent
> size of the sun to change from what it would be viewed from the same
> distance in space. In particular, the sun appears bigger when it's
> near the horizon, which is the case here...
>
> Jerome
> - --
That's half true: light rays bend due to gradient air density and variable
ior but that flattens sun image rather than inflates.
Bigger sun near the horizon is mostly an illusion due to possible comparison
with known references.
Our brain believes that sun is on the  same skysphere as the sky which is
far at the horizon.
As angular size of the sun remains the same, our brain "thinks" it is bigger
Try  (not too long eh?) looking at the sun through a tube when it is low, so
you make abstraction of surrounding and you get rid of this illusion.

Marc