POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Meet 'Nelly'... : Re: Meet 'Nelly'... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:25:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Meet 'Nelly'...
From: Jim Charter
Date: 12 May 2004 17:43:26
Message: <40a29a7e$1@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:
> Joking apart Jim, what would you suggest for a background to this?

It depends on what you want the picture to be about I guess.  But with
that bit of preaching out of the way I would say there is nothing
essentially wrong with what you already have.  It would be fairly easy
to add a few elements to suggest an open savannah setting.  A few trees
on the horizon, some grass.  And that could be elaborated and varied
indefinitely as to time of day and degree of texture in foreground
elements to get a nice wildlife scene.

The one thing that doesn't read well for me is the lighting and the way
the shadows fall.  The shadow the head casts on the ground looks like it
could be the shadow of the left forefoot which then makes that foot look
like it is floating in space.  In addition the shadow on the right side
of the elephant abscures a lot of detail which frustrates the viewer.