POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Unclipped radiosity values (79k jpeg) : Re: Unclipped radiosity values (79k jpeg) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 23:21:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unclipped radiosity values (79k jpeg)
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 12 Jun 2004 18:13:31
Message: <40CB7FAC.1040806@hotmail.com>
Skip Talbot wrote:

> That's quite an improvement.  Thanks for posting an example, as I'm sure
> many of us couldn't quite grasp what had changed.  Now, can I wait for an
> HDRI equipped POV 3.6  :)
>
> Skip

Skip,

With these new changes it is possible to make images using hdri and
radiosity. For a false-color (color that you add) implementation, use an
image_map mapped to a sky_sphere, and give the new colors ridiculously
high values.

An example might look something like this:

sky_sphere{
  pigment{
   pigment_pattern{
    image_map{
     tga"my_image.tga" interpolate 2 map_type 1
    }
   }
   color_map{
    [0 rgb 0]
    [.5 rgb<1 2 10>]
    [1 rgb 10]
   }
  }
}

You can make your own color_map for an image by placing the image_map
statement inside a 'pigment_pattern' block.

Standard pitfalls and benefits usually associated with hdri imaging
probably apply to doing this.... you might want to use a low-res image
for the hdri, and a hi-res image to be viewed in the background. Might
have to make one of the sky_spheres a real sphere with no_image added...

-Sam Benge