POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV-Ray 3.5 for AmigaOS : Re: POV-Ray 3.5 for AmigaOS Server Time
1 Jul 2024 07:12:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3.5 for AmigaOS
From: Dan P
Date: 2 Jun 2004 19:10:09
Message: <40BE5E5C.7080001@yahoo.com>
Nicolas Calimet wrote:
>> I'll be either break some legalities or be re-inventing the wheel
>
>     Probably both would not be a problem, but the best remains
> checking povlegal.doc and google  :-)

Absolutely -- didn't seem that anyone else was interested (this scares
me, actually, because AmigaOS 4 is coming out and it looks da bomb) and
povlegal.doc will be my bible for a while (to whom do I pray, though?)

>> The following link is not linked off the main site:
>> http://<broken link>/amiga/povray.shtml
>
>     The status shows you're currently fixing the code to work
> with gcc/g++ 3.3.  Could you mention precisely what you have/had
> to fix ?  Since the source code of POV-Ray 3.6 will be released
> within a few weeks and that it is know to compile with gcc 3.3.x
> and 3.4.0 on various platforms, it'd be worth waiting a bit longer
> before tweaking a two-years-old code.
>     As mentioned on the www.povray.org/beta page, the UNIX
> source distribution will be beta-tested, most likely starting this
> month.  If you are willing to test it, I'd be glad to see what the
> reworked build system could give on the AmigaOS  :-)
>     - NC

Instead of messing around with the configure, I just started to build
the Makefile from scratch (I wanted to understand how the files
interrelated and, as a way to do that, I rolled up my sleeves and dug
into the code -- sometimes I'm not lazy enough, maybe, for my own good).
I didn't realize that it was made for gcc (actually, I should have; I
was thinking, when I was driving home salivating about getting to work
on it, that the "configure" script should have been a clue). I was also
compiling with g++, not gcc; didn't even think to change that, if that
was what was up.

Aside from a lot of warnings that arose because of implicit casting from
a double to a long or int (which I resolved using (int) floor() just
because I'm very, very strict about treating warnings as errors) I found
that, in the file "povmsgid.cpp", the enumerations were assigned to
static strings surrounded by single quotes, which is something I have
never seen before -- first, I thought enums had to assign to ints, and
second, I thought single quotes were for characters, not strings). The
compiler agreed on both counts and gave me quite a lashing about
what-for about it. So, I created a PERL script to grab each of those
strings and generate a file with defines called "povtypes.h" and made
those defines with unique IDs starting from 1000. Then, I went to
"povmsgid.cpp" and got rid of those double-quotes and dealt with the
strings like '****' by making it 'AAAA' and 'NULL' by making it 'NuLL'.
When that compiled, I started tracing the include hierarchy and building
the Makefile. Sore fingers later, and a lot of clean-compiles and
thank-Gods later, I still waswondering what the "goal" of those defines
was and if there is something fundamental that I'm missing about the
whole affair that is going to bite me in the cheeks later.

So, it looks like, from what you are saying, I should just unpack the
thing and enter in the goodies to make the configure script work
properly with an AmigaOS entry. Probably the best thing to do, but my
goal was just on getting it to work first and dig in and understand it
and then prettify later and stress-test it with the provided test suite.
After it is running on command-line, it just seems silly not to start
building a GUI around it, like Windows or Mac has. I mean, this /is/
that Amiga after all.

Here's a screen-shot of my directory listing so far:
http://<broken link>/images/amipovfiles.jpg

Since, aside from those warnings, that really seems to be the only thing
it complained about, would someone venture to clue-me-in on what happens
with povmsgid.cpp? Is there some program in-between that turns those
happy 'strings' into numbers?

I'm really excited -- 3.5 on the Amiga will do great things for the
Amiga and excite a lot of new POV-Ray users. I just want to make sure
I'm Kosher in this pickle. In fact, I'm willing to put in the effort to
coordinate an official version with you guys if you think I'm sane
enough to help with it. I dream of seeing povray.programming.amiga happen...
--
Respectfully,          "Leave it to the coward to make a religion
Dan P            of his cowardice by preaching humility."