POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Collage Theorem Demo (35k, 50k, 35k) : Re: Collage Theorem Demo (35k, 50k, 35k) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Collage Theorem Demo (35k, 50k, 35k)
From: Andrew C on Mozilla
Date: 9 May 2004 15:49:02
Message: <409e8b2e@news.povray.org>
>> No need - I've got the code already.
>>
>> Erm - somewhere...
>>
>> *searches around*
>>
>> Oh well! I _did_ have it... I guess you could always do it with
>> PostScript instead! :-D
>
> Seriously, if you do happen to find the JAVA applet, could you post a
> link in off-topic, or e-mail it to me?  I'd really appreciate it.
> Although I'm probably going to have to break down and learn a usable
> programming language again.  (PostScript?)

I wrote a Java applet to do (hard-coded) 2D linear IFS as part of my
dynamic HTML assignment. As with everything in Java, doing the program
is easy, making the output *visible* is almost impossible! Displaying
text, drawing dots... Java makes these things ridiculusly difficult.

>> But hey, see if you can make the shape a lil more interesting first
>> tho - maybe add a bit of twist or something... I don't know, long time
>> since I did this stuff. ;-)
>
> I could just flip some of the transforms around, or angle them so that
> they rotate inward, or being more radical and following the lead of this
> very interesting application,
>
> http://flam3.com/
>
> I could compose it with a non-linear transformation (see his
> well-written paper under "math" at the above link).
>
> Mostly, though, I made this POVRay version so that I could make 3D IFS.
>  I can arrange ball-and-stick tetrahedra or parallelepipeds and this
> should be easier than trying to puzzle out the transformations directly.

Personally, when I do 3D IFS it tends to be 2D ones, tweaked slightly to
use the extra dimension. Otherwise you seem to just get clouds of stuff
which isn't all that interesting. (Having said that, it's not something
I've had the pleasure of playing with all that much as yet.)

>> PS. Nasty checker texture :-S
>

> Man, no-one likes my baby blue and pink checkers.  Here I am, just
> trying to be gender-inclusive.  Oh, well. ;-)

*grins*

Andrew @ home.