POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Not a little gem... (~50KB) : Re: Not a little gem... (~50KB) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:32:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a little gem... (~50KB)
From: Andrew C on Mozilla
Date: 9 May 2004 08:40:19
Message: <409e26b3$1@news.povray.org>
>>This is supposed to be a an extreme closeup of a small gemstone (a
>>few mm across), set in a gold setting. But it looks nothing like
 >>that - and I can't figure out why.
 >>
>>The stone doesn't look remotely gem-like. Can't figure that out.
>>It's transparent, reflective, and reflective. What am I missing?
>
> Your gemstone needs facets on the back of the stone. Do a Google
> search for 'Baguette Cut', 'Emerald Cut', and 'Princess Cut'. You'll
> see that your gemstone also needs to be shallower.

...so what you're saying is that it's all in the cut?

OK... well just Googling for (e.g.) Emerald Cut gives me a huge list of
shops that will *sell* me an emerald cut gemstone of one sort or
another... I've found a few little black and white 2D outline drawings
and a few photos, but I can't find anything clear enough to make a
POV-Ray model from.

Anyone know where I can find technical drawings with measurements?

>>The setting doesn't look like gold. I've fiddled with brilliance,
>>specular, roughness, reflection, and turned on metallic (as well as
>>conserve_energy). Still doesn't look remotely like metal. Why?
>

>     It looks like gold to me - it's not that bad, try turning the
> ambient and reflection up a touch. The tips of your 'prongs' need to
> be bent over the stone too.

I don't know... maybe the lighting is wrong... I already have 3 light
sources, and still can't get it to look right. Oh yes, and I know about
the prongs - but I have no idea how to explain that to POV-Ray.

>    Perseverance!  ;)

Well, this *is* the POV-Ray NG isn't it? ;-) LOL!

Andrew @ home.