POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Not a little gem... (~50KB) : Re: Not a little gem... (~50KB) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:30:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a little gem... (~50KB)
From: St
Date: 9 May 2004 07:45:23
Message: <409e19d3@news.povray.org>
"Andrew C on Mozilla" <voi### [at] devnull> wrote in message
> Hi folks.
>
> This is supposed to be a an extreme closeup of a small gemstone (a
few
> mm across), set in a gold setting. But it looks nothing like that -
and
> I can't figure out why.
> The stone doesn't look remotely gem-like. Can't figure that out.
It's
> transparent, reflective, and reflective. What am I missing?

Your gemstone needs facets on the back of the stone. Do a Google
search for 'Baguette Cut', 'Emerald Cut', and 'Princess Cut'. You'll
see that your gemstone also needs to be shallower.

> The setting doesn't look like gold. I've fiddled with brilliance,
> specular, roughness, reflection, and turned on metallic (as well as
> conserve_energy). Still doesn't look remotely like metal. Why?

    It looks like gold to me - it's not that bad, try turning the
ambient and reflection up a touch. The tips of your 'prongs' need to
be bent over the stone too.

> Also can't figure out why the metal setting apparently isn't
resulting
> in any photons. (It makes the photon process hundreds of times
slower -
> that is, I had to multiply the photon spacing a few hundred times to
get
> it to render this year.)

      No idea.

> This was supposed to end up being a single link in a bracelet - but
it
> looks so rubbish I hadn't get that far yet.

   Perseverance!  ;)

    ~Steve~