POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sky : Re: Sky Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sky
From: Abe
Date: 1 May 2004 15:10:37
Message: <4093f62d@news.povray.org>
Dave VanHorn wrote:

> I'd like to set in some clouds, at a realistic altitude.
> I'd like to have them as a sphere of some sort, around the planet, so that
> they cast shadows on the ground, and that they don't look like cardboard
> cutouts from underneath.
>
> http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/backgrnd/p_sky2.htm
> This looks good to me, but I can't see how to translate it to my world.

My understanding is that this presentation is based on planar cloud
layers. Substituting concentric spheres for the planes should make it
work for you. Note though that in doing so you lose the availability of
the third dimension of the texture for the time variable in animation.

I might also suggest reviewing the following:

http://3dgallery.dhs.org/tutorials/3d_clouds.html

http://www.oyonale.com/ressources/english/sources13.htm

This discussion should probably continue in one of the text groups.

Abe