POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Help: Brushed metal: POV Ray 3.1 > 3.5 : Re: Brushed metal: POV Ray 3.1 > 3.5 Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:11:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brushed metal: POV Ray 3.1 > 3.5
From: Tek
Date: 27 Apr 2004 01:18:56
Message: <408ded40$1@news.povray.org>
Interesting problem. I've just tried it out comparing 3.5 to Megapov 0.7 (based
on pov 3.1) and I think I have the solution, try this:

 normal {
  pigment_pattern {
   granite
   scale <0.1, 20, 1>
  } 0.1
 }

I've noticed that pov seems to generate bumps by comparing samples of the bump
pattern to estimate a gradient (by sampling a fixed distance away). It would
appear 3.1 evaluates this sample distance after the pattern has been scaled,
whereas 3.5 does it before the scaling. This means if you scale a pattern in 3.5
the bumps will appear to scale, whereas in 3.1 they will alter as they scale
(becoming smoother as you scale down).

In any case using pigment_pattern allows you to manipulate the pattern before
pov samples a normal from it. One trick I use is: normal { pigment_pattern {
granite scale f } 1 scale 1/f }, so that by varying the value of f you control
the severity of the bumps.

Hope that helps
--
Tek