POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG] : Re: Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG] Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:16:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG]
From: Jellby
Date: 26 Apr 2004 09:29:01
Message: <408d0e9c@news.povray.org>
Among other things, Christopher James Huff wrote:

> But you can't continue to accumulate it indefinitely...for example, if
> the stored energy were never used, plants would eventually run out of
> CO2 and H20 to build the sugars which they store the energy in. You will
> eventually reach some equilibrium where total input == total output.
> However, if albedo includes radiation as well as reflection, then
> objects like suns and gas giants have albedos greater than 1.
>
> Also, albedo could be used to refer specifically to visible light...in
> which case it would actually be possible for the reflective albedo to be
> greater than 100%, due to fluorescent materials on the surface.
> Extremely unlikely on a dead rock, though a planet with a large amount
> of fluorescent plant life could do it naturally.

I albedo refers only to reflection, it cannot be higher than 1 and it can be
certainly lower. The emr (electromagnetic radiation) absorbed and then
emitted (possibly at a different wavelength) by the body is not reflection,
it's (heat, black-body) radiation, fluorescence, or whatever.

If albedo refers to all kinds of emissions, it can be higher than 1. The
Earth was probably born as a giant molten rock ball, now it has a more or
less solid crust, some energy has been lost and radiated to outer space.
The albedo can also be lower than 1 if the received energy is transformed
to a different kind of energy and accumulated in the body itself.

If we are talking about a closed system (no exchange of matter) and in
equilibrium (something not trivial), then yes, as much energy as it is
received must be released. But energy is not only emr.

--
light_source{9+9*x,1}camera{orthographic look_at(1-y)/4angle 30location
9/4-z*4}light_source{-9*z,1}union{box{.9-z.1+x clipped_by{plane{2+y-4*x