POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Question about Table Settings : Re: Question about Table Settings Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:17:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about Table Settings
From: Matt Burns
Date: 25 Apr 2004 08:44:24
Message: <408bb2a8@news.povray.org>
SNIP
> I brought up Wings3D and found it impossible to do
> what I could do in Hamapatch. But so many people love it, I just figured
> I didn't spend enough time exploring the tool and/or did not understand
> how to use it properly. This still may be true -- but from what I've
> seen, my brain can get around HamaPatch a lot easier than Wings3D.
> --

I was out of the CG business a couple of years, now I am back and found the
modelling philosophy applied by Wing3D creators, quite novel to me. It is my
impression that before Wings3D, it was very common for 3D packages, to use
CAD-like approach and POVRay is no exception here (though GUI-less).
Modelling in Wings3D is quite intuitive and different (revolutionary?), as
the vast amount of the modelling work is ceded to the machine.
In a nutshell, all you have to do is to define coarse (sometimes veeery
coarse) contours of what you need to make, then define edges which need to
stay "hard" (as they dramatically affect what you would get in the next
step) and finally apply "smoothing". In the hands of well trained modeller
it could be a powerful tool. Believe me, it is worth to try! I like very
much feature selecting commands (edge select, select similar, saving
selections) as selecting features always used to annoy me.
And, as always, the help file and tutorials are very useful and should be
looked at first.

Respectfully yours

Matt