POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG] : Re: Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG] Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:13:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG]
From: Jellby
Date: 25 Apr 2004 05:27:05
Message: <408b8468@news.povray.org>
Among other things, Alain wrote:

> Albedo is the fraction of the total light, from low infrared to the
> hardest UVs, faling onto a celestial body that is sent back into space.
> Depending on the caracteristics of the surface, the body can be more
> reflective along prevelieged directions, but the amount of incident
> light won't chage it. Taking the moon closer to the sun, like at the
> same distance as Mercury, will have no effect on it's albedo, altough it
> will looks much brighter if you are to look at it from the same distance
> as you look at it now.

OK, If you say so I believe you.

BUT, from other scientific courses and past experience I've learnt that
things are often not so simple. Sometimes it is convenient to express
quantities as quotients between other quantities, so that you have a number
which will, hopefully, remain constant. Sometimes this number is constant
only in a certain range of conditions (for example, the "rate constant" of
chemical reactions is not constant, it changes with the Temperature; the
"absorption coefficient" of Lambert-Beer's Law is constant in a range of
concentrations, but not outside it).

So, I believe this could well be the case of albedo. Maybe, given the set of
conditions usually found in the solar system, we can take the fraction of
the incident radiation being reflected as constant for a given body. But
this doesn't mean it *has* to be constant, it could change with extremely
high or low light intensities. I believe this is a valid concern, given the
way the real world behaves.

--
light_source{9+9*x,1}camera{orthographic look_at(1-y)/4angle 30location
9/4-z*4}light_source{-9*z,1}union{box{.9-z.1+x clipped_by{plane{2+y-4*x