POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : too much flushing / slow pre/post parse : Re: too much flushing / slow pre/post parse Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: too much flushing / slow pre/post parse
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 25 Apr 2004 05:26:38
Message: <408b844e@news.povray.org>
In article <Xns94D633C1AFF81raf256com@203.29.75.35>, "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj"
<spa### [at] raf256com> wrote:

> From Pov 3.5 (or even 3.1) there still is a delay after and of render.

Well, if the behavior is the same in previous versions, your post is a
feature request...

> It is caused by
> - closing/flushing output file, -f elimitase it

Of course, if you don't output the image to file, the image file does not
have to be written and rendering will be faster.  Obviously, this cannot be
avoided if you want an image written to disk.

> - flushing all streams, -Ga eliminates it partialy

Information output takes time.

> - rendeing of message window slooowly scrolling (in Win32 version), hidding
> messages window helps it.

Maybe you should get a faster graphics card if scrolling is too slow? - On
the other hand, I have yet to see scrolling being slow, so probably your
system is having other problems.  Maybe your graphics card driver is missing
and Windos defaulted to the universal VGA driver?

> Once I turned off everything (all outputs/streams etc) and then one render
> took 0.05 second (it was ofcourse siiiimple image in 50x50 resolution), so
> could accualy watch a little povray animtion in real time :)
>
> It would be nice to make this behaviour default.

You can easily edit povray.ini if you want such a default.

> I.e make two render buttons - one designed for preview (no streams or
> messages, is there is no errors), and one for normal render (all streams,
> output file).

So POV-Ray is to magically predict there will be no errors or warnings and
disable all output prior to even having parsed the scene?  Sure.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde