POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG] : Re: Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG] Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:11:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG]
From: Dan P
Date: 23 Apr 2004 19:31:20
Message: <4089a748$1@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Dan P wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> Try substituting the word "brighter" with "more bright" and it may
>> sound more clear.
>
> Earth is neither 21% brighter nor 21% more bright than moon assuming the
> given albedo values.  If you want to give percentual values you have to
> do it correctly, otherwise simply say the albedo of earth is 0.21 higher
> than that of earth (which of course isn't a very useful information).

The values are between 0 and 1. If they were between 0 and two, the
percentage would be half of what I said and so forth.

> The whole thing is probably a bit confusing because the unit of albedo
> is 1 (it is a ratio between two values of the same unit.  If you have
> two people, one 1,60m tall and one 1,90m you also would not say one is
> 30% taller/more tall than the other...

True; but that is a different set that does not map to a range between
zero and one because it constantly changes. If you took a snapshot in
time, say the shortest person is A and the tallest person is B, then you
could normalize the number and, indeed, use percentages.

--
Respectfully,
Dan P