POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Memory : Re: Update, Try 2 Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:17:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Update, Try 2
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 23 Apr 2004 17:31:38
Message: <40898b3a@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> any chance of a code snippet for the 'blob' in the middle ?
> i know of a paperweight i'd like to try modelling
> glass sphere with about 30 of those inside, flattened bottom

Hm, you're talking of the raindrops I assume. The image posted here actually
just makes use of two half-spheres, differently scaled, no blob. One for the
upper part, one for the lower, flattened bottom. Both parts have to overlap
slightly and get merged so that no inside surface shows up.

Still, a problem is the sudden change of the surface from one half to the
next, which resulted in that refractive jump which is clearly visible on the
foremost and largest raindrop. Hence I created a new, blobbed version in a
more "standard imagination (wrong) type" of raindrop (raindrops don't
actually look tear-shaped). You can see that version on my homepage.

What I did there was just place several spherical components in a blob, but
scale them smaller as I raise their center. Doing so with enough detail got
rid of the "humps" that easily occur when putting spherical blobs in a row,
but there is some tweaking required to get the shape properly done.

If you want the actual code, say so, but I think the above should clarify
the process enough for you to have a try at it. :-)

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"